ADVERTISEMENT FOR JOB VACANCY:DIRECTOR GENERAL
Tourism Regulatory Authority (TRA) is a corporate body established under section 4 of the Tourism Act No.28 of 2011 and is mandated to regulate the tourism sector in Kenya. This entails developing regulations, standards and guidelines that are necessary to ensure an all-round quality service delivery in the tourism sector.The Authority invites applications from suitably qualified Kenyan citizen to fill the following position:
|Job grade||TRA 1|
|Terms of service||A Term of three years but shall be eligible for re-appointment for one further term of three years.|
|Ref No.||TRA /1/10|
The Position of the Director General (DG), Job Group,TRA 1 in Tourism Regulatory Authority (1 Position).The position of the Director General is established pursuant to section 14(1) of the Tourism Act, 2011.
Requirements for the Appointment
For appointment to this Grade, a candidate must have;
- Advanced degree in the field of tourism or any other tourism-related discipline from a recognized institution.
- At least ten years’ experience in the relevant field at senior management level.
- All the requirements of chapter six of the constitution of Kenya.
- Proven leadership qualities, problem solving and negotiation skills, excellent team building and organizational skills
and evidence of being a strong team player; and
- Demonstrated understanding of the National goals and policies and ability to develop objectives and translate them
into the Authority’s policies, programs and projects.
- A certificate on leadership development lasting not less six weeks from a recognized institution in Kenya will be an added advantage.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Director General shall be responsible for:
- The day-to-day management of the affairs of the Authority and shall be answerable to the Board of the Authority in the
performance of his functions.
- Spearhead Formulation of guidelines and prescribe measures for sustainable tourism throughout the country;
- Oversee Regulation of tourism activities and services countrywide, in accordance with the national tourism strategy;
- Provide strategic Leadership in Registering, licensing and grading of all sustainable tourism and tourist- related activities and services including cottages and private residences engaged in guest house services;
- Coordinate Development and implementation, in consultation with relevant stakeholders, criteria for standardizationand classification of tourism facilities and services;
- Provide Leadership in Developing and regulating, in consultation with the Ministry for the time being responsible matters relating to education, tourism and hospitality curriculum, examination and certification;
- Oversee Development and implementation of code of practice for the tourism sector;
- Ensure the development and implementation of high-quality tourism sector;
- Oversee Monitoring and assessment of tourist activities and services to enhance continuous improvement and adherence to sound principles and practices of sustainable tourism;
- Coordinate annual assessment and audit of tourism activities and services, measures and initiatives at national level, and prepare and publish an annual national tourism sector status report, in consultation with the Cabinet Secretary and relevant lead agencies; and
- Provide Leadership to senior management and staff.
- Prepare the annual budgets and establish proper internal controls
- Be responsible for the execution and communication of the Boards’ strategies, decision sand policies.
- Perform any other functions that are ancillary to the object and purpose for which the Authority is established.
How to Apply
Interested qualified candidates are required to submit their applications in soft copy to email address:
Applicants must provide detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) (current employer, current remuneration and names and contacts of at least three referees familiar with the applicant professional and work record,whom the Authority may contact for more information) and testimonials.Applications should be addressed to: –
Board of Directors
Tourism Regulatory Authority Board
Qualified Applicants must obtain and present clearance certificates from the following institutions during the interviews: –
- Kenya Revenue Authority
- Higher Education Loans Board
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission
- National Police Service
- Credit Reference Bureau
Deadline for submission of all applications is close of business on 27th May, 2022.Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted. TRA is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and gender equality and all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. Canvassing of any form shall lead to automatic disqualification.